Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Thank you for your presents/presence

When I was growing up, the birthday child was served the last piece of cake. In fact, the birthday child served the cake to their guests. On pin the tail on the donkey and other games, we went last when it was our birthday. At our birthday parties, we opened presents, said thank you and then followed up with a written thank you note.

I've noticed a growing trend these days at birthday parties. People don't open presents anymore. They are piled on a table somewhere and then, I guess, piled in the trunk of the car (if the party was other than at the house) to be opened later at home. Why is this? I'm sure it is to save time, and people think that kids don't want to sit through that. They are there to have fun! But what is it teaching our children? That it is ok to open a gift in private, stew about whether or not you want to return or exchange it? Regift it? Tacky.

As I try to teach my kids the "gift of giving", it involves bringing them to Target to pick out the gift. This is hard with anyone over the age of two. They want if for themselves. They want one just like it. They ask why we are getting it for someone else and not them. This torture must be endured as one step in teaching the gift of giving. Step two is actually giving the gift to the birthday child, seeing them open it, and seeing their joy at recieving the gift. Seeing them like the gift when they open it brings the lesson home. Its fun to give someone somthing they like and see them like it. I consider the thank you note to be lagniappe.

At the end of the parties, my kids then take time to find the birthday child, say "Happy Birthday, thank you for inviting me, I had fun". Then they find the parents (hard to do sometimes) and repeat the process. The sentiments are genuine and this is not done out of some formula for manners. Truly, thank you for having my child. Thanks for providing a fun Saturday afternoon. The expression of these sentiments out loud is what separates humans from the animals.

So the next time I attend a party where step two is not fulfilled and the presents are not opened, I have half a mind to take that present home with me...to regift it. If you can't beat em...

2 comments:

Heather said...

Birthday parties in general are a bit out of control. Not as much here, my kids have been to many "at home" parties...probably more to do with the economy than anything, but it is rather refreshing. Hope opened her presents at her party!! I have done it the other way once or twice, and it's okay. It was more to save time, but you are right, if the reason is to re-gift and/or not act thankful-well no can do. When are you coming out to see me, I miss you.

Holly O. said...

Jennifer, I don't have a website for uploading video, but I can tell you how I do it! I have a free account at photobucket.com. It is where I upload most of the photos and videos I use on my blogs. Upload the video. It takes a while. Sometimes as long as 15 minutes. After 15 minutes if it still isn't done, I refresh the screen with a little F5 action and usually the video magically appears. Above the uploaded video screenshot, you'll see a Share link. Click on that. Click on blogger on the left side. Follow directions to log into your blog and there you have it. Your video should appear as a post on your blog.